Here is a list of Smart Board tips and tricks in no apparent order that I learned at the workshops.
- In Smart Notebook, on the menu you can select View<"Show all links when page opens" so that all objects containing links will stand out on the page so you can quickly find them on each page.
- When searching for an object like a picture, flash animation, or video in the Smart Notebook gallery search without an “s” at the end of a word. For example, search for “frog” instead of “frogs”.
- The Lesson Activity Toolkit in the Smart Gallery is a great resource for interactive Flash based activities. Search for "vortex" and you will find a category or image sorting activity where correct answers are sucked into the swirling "vortex" while wrong answers are thrown back, a pretty neat game for students of all ages.
- In Powerpoint, there is a Black command menu so that your slide goes dark so people will only focus on you and what you're saying. In Smart Notebook versions before 10.6 you can write on this blackened PowerPoint slide in a different color (red for example) and your writing will appear on the blackened slide.
- Also when using Powerpoint with the Smart Board, if you tap on a PowerPoint slide and then tap to the right it advances slide. If you tap on slide and then click to left it goes to the previous slide.
- You can hide an object on a Notebook page (like your answer to a question) by writing over it with white pen and then when you use your eraser the answer magically appears.
- Similarly, type all your text in white and then drag a colored pull tab (placed in the back of the slide) over your white text and the text will magically appear.
- If you lose a stylus from your pen tray cover the sensor light with a sticky note. Do not cover it with a marker or else you or another teacher might mistakenly write with marker on the Smart Board.
- Windex can clean dry erase marker writing from a Smart Board but make sure to spray the windex into a cloth and then wipe the board. If you spray the Windex directly on the board then cleaner will get into your pen tray and might mess up the sensors.
- One of the options in the Onscreen keyboard is Shortcut. After selecting shortcut, you can write a letter and then select a function to use any keyboard shortcut. For example, write a Z and then press the Control button for Control Z and it works as an undo.
- MS Word, Powerpoint, or Excel cannot be in Read Only format for the Smart Ink Aware features to work.
- In PowerPoint you can quickly add a blank slide from the Command Menu so you can add a “Parking lot” to take down audience questions that you wish to get back to.
- Clear page on the drop down menu of a Smart Notebook page in the Page View will delete all items on a page that are not locked.
- You can view all pages at once from the Page view by dragging the Page view tab to the right.
- To create a personalized theme for your Notebook pages go to the Format menu and then select Themes
- You can attach sound files to any object in Smart Notebook by right-clicking Insert Sound. Go to http://freeinfosociety.com/ for a large library of historic speeches available in MP3 format for free download.
- You can use the Smart Notebook Page Recorder to record actions on a Smart Notebook page and then play. It will only record per page. It will record any movement on the page including writing. The Notebook recorder does not work on a page with a Flash file like one taken from the Lesson Activity Tool Kit.
- You can link to a Team Content folder anywhere in the Network and then link to it from My Content folder by clicking on the little icon next to the search in the gallery.
These are just a few of the tips that I learned about the Smart Board at my training. Share with me your own Smart Board tricks by commenting on this posting.